, , ,

We’ve lived on the acreage for one week now!

We moved last Saturday.  We packed like maniacs on Friday evening because the movers were coming at 10 a.m. the next morning.  At about 9:30 a.m., I headed out with a car load and Liam so that I could put him down for his morning nap at the new house, and Will would follow shortly behind once the movers had loaded the truck.  At 10:30 a.m., they still hadn’t shown up.  At 11 a.m., they still hadn’t shown up.  I entered panic mode.  Everything, EVERYTHING, we owned was packed up in boxes.  We had to move, or else.  Like even my clothes were packed.  We left numerous voice mails but no one was answering the phone.  At 12:30 p.m., they finally called.  Apparently, they had a move in the morning before us that was supposed to take 45 minutes, and ended up taking a few hours (but for whatever reason, they couldn’t stop for a second to phone and let us know that they might be over four hours late).  They didn’t get to our house until 2:30 p.m.  Great customer service.

Now, one week later, we’re actually mostly settled in.

I had ordered a water delivery before we moved in, which was a blessing and a giant mistake.  I made it clear to the dispatcher that the cistern wasn’t completely empty, it was still about 1/4 to 1/3 full, and was told “no problem” – the driver will phone you before he heads to the house, so you can meet him there and supervise the fill.  So the dispatcher phoned me in the morning, saying this was delivery day, and the driver would contact me an hour before he got to the property.  By 2 p.m., I still hadn’t heard from the driver so I headed out to the acreage anyway, thinking he would phone really soon.  When I got to the house, I noticed that at one corner of the house the snow had melted away, and it was wet.  It was pretty warm and sunny that day, so I didn’t think much of it.  The I opened the screen door, and an invoice fluttered to my feet.

I think I actually said out loud, “Oh god, no.”

Sure enough, the water had been delivered.  All 2500 gallons of it.  Even though there was still about 500 – 800 gallons of water in the cistern.  Which meant about 500 – 800 gallons of water ended up in our basement.  It drained fairly quickly (I think) but there were still giant puddles on the concrete floor, and the overflow pipe had a steady flow.  I phoned Will in a panic.  He came out, found a hose, drained some more water from the cistern, and we proceeded to make a couple of very angry phone calls to the water company.

That was two weeks ago.  We still haven’t heard back from them.  We haven’t paid for the water either, so I guess we’re even.  Great customer service.

We have internet.  We have propane (got that filled, too. That actually was a good experience – prompt and courteous service).  We have electricity.

On Sunday last week, we moved the girls out.  They get the barn all to themselves for now.  We mucked out a stall, put down fresh straw, set up food and water and a large tree branch for them to roost on, and they’re satisfied little chickens.  We attempted to move the coop from the city, but it was so darn heavy, we decided to leave it be.  I put it on kijiji to see if someone wants to move it, but if not, it’ll get chopped up and moved to the dump by the end of the month.  It looks kind of funny having only three tiny chickens in such a large barn, but they’re happy.

Now all we need is a renter for our city house.  We had one all ready to go, but then things got weird when it came to the security deposit, and he ended up yelling at our property manager’s assistant, so the property manager decided to walk away.  Best not to have a jerk of a tenant.  I sure hope the right tenant comes along soon though.  Fingers crossed.

I’ve got some great pictures to share, but they’re still in the camera, which is packed in a box, somewhere in this house.  As I’m currently working 48 hours a week, it probably won’t be until March sometime that I get a chance to find it.

Stay warm!